Wednesday 16 January 2008

what makes a worthwhile performance?

The first major debate which kick started the module for me was the question;

Assuming that we live in a performative society what constitutes a worthwhile performance?


-It's an interesting, debate sparking question, which will never have a definite answer.

Not unlike the glorious 'used toilet' art debate, it really depends on what you, as an individual constitute as a performance (leaving the 'worthwhile' aside for just a moment).
Over the past few weeks of looking into virtuality and giving it more thought than I ever had before, I would define a performance within our 'performative society' as a conscious action or series of actions designed to be seen by someone, anyone. Whether it's rehearsing for weeks or months, having spent lots of money for a grand performance for a paying audience, or trying to talk rationally to your mum after a few too many afternoon beers. I am always picked up on my 'customer voice' at work with people telling me how sweet and polite I sound, obviously not sounding so sickly when around friends. I think people act differently around different people and in different situations.

So what makes it worthwhile? When someone enjoys it, when the concious action has achieved its purpose. For example when your mum fully believes you've been at the library all day- and the giggles are because you're just walking past a lecture room where your friend looks inanely bored. Or the customer you're serving leaves you a nice tip and says thanks for lovely service.
I don't think everything that everyone does in life can be called a performance, I certainly don't feel like I'm performing in a way which isn't 'me' around my best friends. As for the internet- facebooking, youtubing and blogging...I believe that can be labelled as a performance for SOME people as they will write/produce comments, videos and photos with the intention of coming across in a specific way for other people to see. Are these worthwhile? They are to some.

No comments: